Installing the GlobalSight Desktop Icon
Download the Desktop Icon software as described in Installing GlobalSight. Then follow the instructions below for:
- Ubuntu Desktop and CentOS
Remove any previous installations of Desktop Icon before beginning a new one.
To remove an old version in Windows:
- Select Programs->Uninstall a program in Control Panel
- Select the GlobalSight Desktop Icon
- Click Uninstall
Install Java SE version 1.6.0_07 or later. If you intend to run Java applications only, it is enough to install Java Runtime Environment (JRE).
To download Java and supporting information, go to www.java.com
On the Mac, Java is installed by default. You can check it by entering “java –version” in the terminal.
Install Ruby version 1.8.2 or later.
To download Ruby and supporting information, go to Ruby-lang.org
In Windows, Ruby is installed under “C:\ruby”, add the “C:\ruby\bin” into the “PATH” system environment variable.
On the Mac, Ruby is usually already installed.
SafariWatir (for Mac)
- Install the GlobalSight Desktop Icon
- Open the Terminal, for example /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app, and enter the commands below to install the third party tools. Super user permission is needed
cd /Applications/GlobalSight Desktop Icon.app/Contents/Resources/Java/Third Party Software
sudo ruby setup.rb
sudo gem rb-appscript-0.3.0.gem
sudo gem safariwatir-0.2.5.gem
Firefox and JSSH
To download JSSH and supporting information, go to Mozilla.com
To install JSSH:
- Open Firefox
- Select File -> Open File from the menu bar.
- Find and open the appropriate jssh-***.xpi file
- Windows: the file is named jssh-winnt.xpi and found in < GlobalSight Desktop Icon install directory>\Third Party Software , for example C:\Program Files\GlobalSight\GlobalSightDesktopIcon\Third Party Software
- Mac: the file is named jssh-darwin.xpi and found in /Applications/GlobalSight Desktop Icon.app/Contents/Resources/Java/Third Party Software
- Close Firefox
- Open the command prompt or the terminal and CD to the directory where Firefox has been installed
- Windows: C:\program files\Mozilla Firefox\ for example
- Mac: /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS
- Enter “firefox.exe -jssh” / “./firefox-bin -jssh” to start Firefox with JSSH
- Run telnet localhost 9997 in the command prompt or terminal to verify. Check that it connects successfully
Installing the Desktop Icon
You can install Desktop Icon on Windows, Linux and Mac, or Ubuntu Desktop and CentOS: